The Historic Homewood website started as a group project for Elizabeth Shaw's graduate level course, "Digitizing Research Collections," Department of Library and Information Science, University of Pittsburgh, fall semester 1999. Group members included Jennie Benford, Gretchen Kriner, Amy Rudersdorf, and Tom Teper. The initial goal of the project was to digitze the 1905 Rule Book and selected maps and photographs to help illustrate the histoic landscape design of the Homewood Cemetery. Group members thus came up with a prototype website with selected chapters of the book, some maps, and explanatory text. At the suggestion of The Homewood Cemetery, Amy Rudersdorf and Jennie Benford finalized the site, Ms. Rudersdorf handling the technical aspects of design and implementation, Ms. Benford providing the content. Marilyn Evert, the cemetery assistant treasurer and archivist, provided editorial assistance, photographs, and access to the cemetery's archival collection. Later, in early 2013, the site was completely redesigned by Patrick Crowley. Most of the original content was retained; however, the site was updated to utilize current technology and conform to new web standards.